Five environmental groups receive funding
18 July 2019
Five local groups and volunteers have received a share of the $10,000 MainPower Hurunui Natural Environment Award for 2019.
Established in partnership with the Hurunui District Council, the fund supports community initiatives to improve the district’s biodiversity.
The fund is made available for works on public or private land that restores, reinstates or otherwise benefits existing indigenous values.
The recipients were awarded at a ceremony on 3 July at the Omihi Community Hall.
- Craig Palmer – restoration of 7 ha of native bush.
- Mat Donaldson & Astra Haydon – restoration of native species and habitat near the Waipara River.
- Mt Lyford Association – assist with the control of wilding Conifers.
- Waipara School – to monitor and remove unwanted predators and restore the habitat in the Waipara School grounds and backyards of school families.
- Waipara Environmental Trapping Association – Predator trapping in Tiromoana Reserve Mt Cass, plus training and trap library.