Network maintenance is a key part of keeping electricity flowing to the homes and businesses of North Canterbury. MainPower carries out network maintenance and upgrades year round. Below is a summary of some of our larger projects. For more information, please refer to our current Asset Management Plan.
Southbrook Substation upgrade
During 2019, work on this project has included:
- completing the design of a MainPower 66/11kV zone substation
- procuring system equipment
- geotechnical works
- compound and earthing works
- other civil works including switch room and control room
Next steps: In 2020, equipment will be installed.
Outcome: This project will improve network reliability and security of supply in the surrounding Southbrook and Rangiora regions.
Kairaki and Pines Beach
Duration: November 2019-March 2020
- Digging trenches
- Laying cables
- Replacing some power poles with underground cables
- Installing some new power poles
- General equipment upgrades and maintenance
Outcome: This work is part of MainPower ongoing network maintenance programme.